Monday, May 25, 2009

TERMINATOR SALVATION

Terminator Salvation is a mess. It's a mess to look at, and it's a mess to try and make something sensible out of. "Sensible"? True, how crucial is rationality in a sci-fi tinged action movie franchise already four episodes deep anyway??? I never watched the old-timer TV program Charlie's Angels, but I still got a kick of out McG's Full Throttle sequel adaptation of it. Granted, I'm also not the best boy to be connecting dots from movie to movie, storyline to storyline. I've only seen the three previous T movies once apiece, and I would be knee-deep and hard-pressed in trying to tell you what happened in the third edition of them. Shoot, after just seeing the fourth, I can't even remember who Kyle Reese is or why he needs to be sent back to the future to save Sarah Connor (or if he even does... maybe I heard that incorrectly).

But there's something specific about the Terminator franchise that makes all of the films enjoyable regardless of the final cut quality in each. There is an endlessly enticing US vs. THEM motif that gets me pumped, and it gets me pumped because it is all-encompassing, a unifying call-to-arms: humans vs. machines. That is the type of simplistic battle line drawing that we can all get behind. There's no political parties, no social soap boxes, no petty pet peeve issues to picket for. You either fight, or you die (that kind of ideological clarity is refreshing... though not desirable in real life, mind you). The "fight" is to be taken to a global technocracy run amok in the name of Sky Net, some "thing" that wants to wipe the human race off the face of the Earth... for some reason. (Like I said, I don't keep track of these stories, so forgive me.)

Throughout Terminator Salvation, things happen: a rubbery, prototypical Arnold Schwarzenegger terminator model shows up; Christian Bale says "I'll be back"; McG sneaks in a stinky wink to Guns N' Roses T2-touting "You Could Be Mine" (rivaling the cringe-worthiness of "Sabotage" in Star Trek); Dirt, by Alice in Chains, is still in Sam Worthington's character's brother's Jeep when he hot wires it and "Rooster" is the song it is on (I kinda didn't mind this choice of song because at least it was war appropriate); Bryce Dallas Howard is still pretty, but thinking that wigs me out because I can see her dad in her face; one of the gate-keeping terminators wears a white headdress, and I wonder why it would even care to put one on in the first place; "how to kill a terminator" scenes are becoming as tedious as "how to kill a zombie" scenes; door is open for T5.


But there is also something culturally current about Terminator Salvation. All of the Terminators have had an "end of days" scenario looming over them, but this latest episode fully lives in the dystopian nightmare that the previous films only hinted at, a calculated nightmare brought upon humanity by a silent, intangible, global elite. Well, for news nerds like myself, many of you may know where I am headed here... that's right, Bilderberg/NWO/Jekyll Island. Just name your preferred powerful puppet-master poison and you'll be on the track. Those who follow the conspiracy theories attached to these big names will know that the elimination of 80-90% of the world's population is one of their "agenda items". Sky Net's mission statement probably says something similar.

Lest you think I'm stretching it here in my attempt to connect a modern and topically hot form of global paranoia to T4, well, check this out...

The Halcyon Company produced Terminator Salvation. THC is a newly formed, independent media venture that owns the rights to the Terminator franchise and who also plan on releasing a series of Philip K. Dick film adaptations (Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said is currently in production). I'm no Philip K. Dick expert, but an "Orwellian future" is something I feel safe in saying the author drew upon in some of his work. The same can be said of the Terminator franchise. Interestingly, it was just reported a wee few days ago that The Halcyon Group purchased the rights to The True Story Of The Bilderberg Group, a book about... well, you know. Whether this will makes its way to screens as a documentary or a political-thriller starring Clive Owen, I don't know, but it makes for some fun brain candy when you're out of Twizzlers and there's still forty minutes of a mess of a movie left to stare at.

13 comments:

Mychar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Greg said...

The Halcyon Group purchased the rights to The True Story Of The Bilderberg Group, a book about... well, you know.

The Osmonds?

Fox said...

Greg-

"The Osmonds" is an anagram for "Host Demons" which is equal to Bilderberg.

CHEW ON THAT (for a dollar)!

Greg said...

I'm chewing as fast I can.

Reel Whore said...

Connor vs the Governator was the best part of T4. BDH is a cutie, and I too see her father in that face, which disturbs me more than a little. I tried to picture Bloodgood's cleavage whenever that thought crept into my head.

I normally like a good conspiracy, but I am not up on Bilderberg. Sounds like the Pentavirate to me. I must learn more.

Fox said...

Reel Whore-

"Bloodgood". What an amazing last name that is.

And tred lightly on Bilderberg, or, I should say, tred lightly on where you roam to find info about them... but I guess that's understood when investigating conspiracies.

Actually, let me throw you a link here of a recent article by a Guardian reporter. I found it to be a good mix of confusion, discovery, fear, and humor. Here it tis!

Reel Whore said...

Thanks for the link. I'm looking froward to reading it.

Atul said...

Hi, nice blog i had seen this movie, its a nice one, if you want to Download Terminator Salvation Movie , you can visit here.

Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike

CMrok93 said...

The film didn't have the heart, nor the story or excitement that the original's did. I just wished they did more, instead of just being a typical sci-fi action thriller. Check out my review when you can!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory

Overseas pharmacy said...

I remember when I watched this movie it was the most perfect film for me because I had never seen all those special effects, but also I think the plot was good because it was totally futurist something that can happen with our world some day.

Christian said...

It won't truly have effect, I suppose so.
free online games | computer games reviews | free games | free ride games review | download game pc gratis