Tuesday, October 28, 2008

CAN SAM RAIMI BRING THE FUN BACK TO AMERICAN HORROR WITH DRAG ME TO HELL?

While some of us were hoping Peter Jackson would take the $500 quadrillion he made from the Lord of the Rings decade and funnel it into some radical special effects splatter-comedy fare, he ended up getting distracted by a CGI gorilla and apparently just can't quit those damned Hobbits!

Coming off of a Spider Man decade, some of the same fan desires were placed at the feet of Sam Raimi. And while it looks like he might be going back to Spider Man for at least a fourth time, he was able to sneak in something called Drag Me To Hell.

I'm excited, and I'm glad they ended up with Alison Lohman in the lead instead of Ellen Page. Nothing against Page, but I like Lohman better. Oh, and Sage Stallone is in it!

Here's the plot as described by Worstpreviews :

---
In "Drag Me to Hell," an unsuspecting young woman (Lohman) becomes the recipient of a supernatural curse cast upon her by an older Eastern European woman who was defied and humiliated by others.

Lohman plays a loan officer who won't give one to an old lady (Lorna Raver) and gets hexed for her heartlessness.
---

Kind of a fitting plot for our current credit crisis, huh? But can you blame Lohman? I wouldn't give a loan to a woman that looked like that. I mean look at her grill! If she can't take care of her teeth then she sure as hell ain't paying back a loan.

7 comments:

Evan Derrick said...

Dash that hope, Fox. This looks not-good. I get a very late-career John Carpenter vibe from this, and will be surprised if Raimi can duplicate his earlier horror successes. Besides, his greatest horror achievements weren't strict horror, but comic-horror (or whatever one calls that sub-genre). Army of Darkness isn't scary so much as it's friggin' hilarious. I'm trying to remember - does he have any straight up horror under his belt?

Fox said...

True. I do gravitate toward comic-horror or fun horror b/c I don't get scared by horror films. I like them when they are visually (meaning effects or camera work) titillating or playful like the Evil Deads were.

As for late period John Carpenter... dude, I LOVE Vampires. I know many people don't, but I'm on board!

Evan Derrick said...

Ok, ok, let's go ahead and assume that In the Mouth of Madness was his last legitimately decent film (you can love Vampires all you want, but that doesn't make it 'good' and you know it). Are you going to stick up for Village of the Damned and Ghosts of Mars as well? (horrors, I can't believe I actually paid money to see Ghosts in the theater) Not to mention Escape from L.A. There might be a certain guilty pleasure aspect to his most recent films, but they don't hold a candle to his earlier work. Do you really want Vampires level quality from Sam Raimi?

I call you on your bluff, sir!

Fox said...

Ahhh.... Ghost Of Mars! I can't stick up for it b/c it's been to long since I've seen it, but doesn't it have an awesome head explosion seen with Pam Grier?
Haven't seen Village of the Damned.

But Vampires. I dug the sleazy, over-the-top misogyny of James Woods' vampire hunter. And Daniel Baldwin is awesoem too! It's a very fine b-movie and you know it!

But I expect more than that from Raimi. I think Evil Dead & Evil Dead 2 are artfully spectacular.

elgringo said...

Here's how this decade looks to me:

2002: Spider-Man (Audiences are pumped, excited, wowed, begging for more.)

2004: Spider-Man 2 (Doc Oc? Hell yes!)

2007: Spider-Man 3 (Ummm...check please. We're done.)

2009: Drag Me to Hell (Horror movies are fun again. Audiences are begging for more!)

2011: Spider-Man 4 (Ah man, another Spider-Man. Who's the villain? Vulture? An old guy with no powers and a wing-pack?)

2013: Spider-Man 5 (Stop it. Spider-Man is NOT the next James Bond. He just isn't. Enough is enough.)

Fox said...

I think there is another Raimi Evil Dead remake in there too. Which... I mean, usually I would frown upon, but I gotta admit I will be first in line on opening night to see it.

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com