Sunday, September 28, 2008

TRAILER TRASH

I know a lot of friends and blogger buddies are high on the trailer for Gus Van Sant's Milk, but when I saw it today in the theater I was just annoyed. Admittedly, I have an anti-Sean Penn bias, but with that fake nose on it was hard for me to separate his depiction of Harvey Milk (whom he looks nothing like) from that of his Sam Dawson.

Still, that trailer was nice compared to the one for Revolutionary Road. I mean, really? They're going through with this? Sam Mendes remakes American Beauty in the 1950's?!?!

When the teaser scene of Kate Winslet whining about the conventions of suburban life rolled, followed by an image of her in slo-mo scream, I wished I had brought a friend along so I had someone to laugh with.

Oh... and then came the trailer for Doubt. Oy!... I thought the twenty minute reel of M&M commercials and inside looks at the next TNT drama were bad. But hell, I'm going back to my old plan of trying to time my arrival at the theater just as the previews are ending.

Don't get me wrong, I will be more than happy to eat my words if my notions about any of these movies are wrong. It's happened many times before. Still, one of them is directed by Sam Mendes, so I feel pretty solid about that one.

12 comments:

Slayton said...

The Doubt trailer was indeed shitty. It looks so campy! The only one who seems to be doing something interesting with her role is Amy Adams, who has this nifty 1940's affected timidity throwback thing going on.

RR trailer was a joke for not showing the two best characters in the film - Shannon's and Bates's.

MovieMan0283 said...

Watching a lot of 50s movies lately, I'm sick of the one-dimensional "this is what the 50s were" schtick.

By the way, I have updated the Holy Grail "12 movies" list to include all the films suggested and the bloggers who suggested them. You can check it out here:

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/2008/09/finding-holy-grail.html

Fox said...

Definitely, Slayton. Doubt seemed almost seemed to fall into parody or spoof. I like the guy alright, but I really don't know what Phillip Seymour Hoffman is doing these days.

And we are in agreement on Shannon, too. I love that guy, and he will be one of the things that draws me into RR. He has such a presense about him without really doing too much at times. The few minutes he's in World Trade Center were powerful, I thought. And I think he's brilliant in Bug and Shotgun Stories.

Fox said...

Cool, movieman. I will definitely be going over to check that out. It really spread like a virus! People are STILL posting their lists. You really struck gold with that one. :o)

MovieMan0283 said...

Yeah and I've already sparked another one, though I haven't really started pushing it yet, mostly because I'm unsure what form it should/would take. You can find it under the gross picture of the dead mouse (not, by the way, the grossest I found) on the same blog. Enjoy.

Rick Olson said...

Fox, although I'm not as rabidly anti-Mendes as it is these days fashionable to be, I wonder about "Revolution Road" myself.

And "Milk" could go either way: it could be all Earnest and Good For You, or it could be subversive and great, Gus van Sant is capable of those. From the looks of the trailer, the former might unfortunately be the case.

And you got me in trouble over at Lapper's place ... I tried to make a convoluted joke based on your comment about me being mad, and it blew up in my face ...

Fox said...

Rick-

Van Sant is one of those director's I've always respected artistically, but I've never been able to connect with for whatever reason. I like Last Days. I think some of the movements in there are just excellent, though it may be b/c of Harris Savides camera.

I will see Revolutionary Road for sure, b/c, well, I like to see movies and have opinions on them, but I've never liked one of his films, not even a smidge.

Oh, and Lapper's place is just crazy. It's like a saloon, you never know when a friendly card game can turn into a shoot out. I think he's paranoid that we are gonna start a Coosa Creek Tractor Blog and go after some of his readership.

Matthew Lucas said...

I think DOUBT looks fantastic. I LOVED the trailer.

Fletch said...

I haven't seen the trailers for the others, but I'm not with you on Milk - I think it's the best trailer I've seen in some time. Definitely makes me want to see it (though I probably would have anyhow).

Fox said...

Matthew, Fletch... meet me at a bar somewhere, roll up your sleeves and let's arm wrestle this one out! :o)

EVIL CLOWN said...

Revolutionary Road looks like the feel good movie of the 21st century. American Beauty without the dark humor.

It makes me want to pull someone's heart out and feast on it. But that's because I'm an Evil Clown.

Terance said...

Oh my god, there's so much helpful info here!
orthopedic technician jobs | dallas wedding venues | natural remedies for anxiety