Tuesday, September 30, 2008

IS THAT DUST IN YOUR SOCKET, OR ARE YOU JUST PISSED OFF TO SEE ME?

JULIA (Miriam Hopkins) : "It's the last thing in the world I wanted to do."

KERRY (Errol Flynn) : "Well... you're the only one that could've done it."


Boo-ya! Good one, Errol!

I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the clippity-clop, maybe it's the Texas in me, but I love that moment in westerns - especially westerns with a romantic bent - where one person on a horse trots up to another person on a horse and the pair starts having a conversation.

I didn't think Virginia City was so great. The end is overtly rah-rah goofy, and Humphrey Bogart as a Mexican with a pencil mustache was kind of disturbing, but I went old-Hollywood weak in the knees when Miriam Hopkins tried to apologize to Errol Flynn after reluctantly setting him up... and then he lays that sucker punch on her (while handcuffed, no less)!

I guess it was also kind of interesting to have a love story where the woman is torn between a Yankee and a Confederate. Think about that PRO/CON checklist when she sits down with her girlfriends, over skillet coffee and hard biscuits, to sort out which man is the better catch.

5 comments:

elgringo said...

Yeah...I never really thought about how great those riding side by side moments are. That's great! Thanks for pointing them out, I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Megan said...

I agree, they are great!

Haven't seen this one yet though.

Nowadays they'd probably get past the whole yankee/reb thing by making the reb a secret member of the underground railroad or something like that...

Fox said...

Megan-

Virginia City is probably skipable. I mean, I hate to discourage people from seeing anything, but I mainly got on board b/c of my Errol Flynn crush. Not that it's terrible, but at two hours it can feel like a slog.

I would love to see a new story like this though. A woman torn between two warring polarized factions... I'm sure there's been some, I just can think of one at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Hello
klonopin mg
Never try to increase or decrease the amount of daily dose and do not stop taking medication without consulting with your doctor.
[url=http://www.actperu.com/]klonopin pill[/url]
5 mg Clonazepam or as unscored tablets with 1mg or 2mg of Clonazepam.
http://www.actperu.com/ - klonopin medication
You must not drink anything alcoholic during the medication period of Klonopin.

Mark said...

A great deal of useful information for me!
game reviews | best games | game pc | facebook games | download games