Wednesday, August 13, 2008

STUPID NETFLIX! : CRITTERS (1986)

Sometimes Netflix messes with us... they know it, we know it, it's just one of those understood "you're screwed" situations.

So when you got no Netflix you go to the video store! I love the video store. If it was cheaper than Netflix I would just use it 100% of the time. Picking up a VHS or DVD box off the shelf beats a little generic white sleeve any day.

I'd never seen Critters, so ... what the hell?

It had:

Nostalgia.

Cool...

Special...

Effects... (where has all this good stuff gone???)



Surprisingly, Critters was pretty artfully shot...

Check out the cool composition... the blues, pinks, and whites....

But this shot is my favorite. M. Emmet Walsh gets a call from his secretary, and it's framed to look like he's talking to the Dolly Parton 9 to 5 clipping underneath the lamp. (The picture is small, but she's on the phone in it... those witty critters!)



WHOA!... I haven't even shown any of the critters yet!!!

This one cops-a-feel on the Justine Bateman lookalike...

This one looks like he's humping the stairs... (see his bangs sticking up as if he's climaxing??)

And this one became BFF with E.T. ...

"Dude, I'm E.T., who the hell are YOU?!?!?!"


END

11 comments:

WaywardJam said...

"...who the hell are YOU?!?!?!" - love it! Makes me wanna add Critters to my Q now. I think my last 'why not' was, Black Mama White Mama. Cuh-lassic. Next 'why not' will be Mama's Boy - mainly to see Anna Faris.

ryan said...

Critters was one of my all-time favorite films when I was a kid. I really should watch it again.

elgringo said...

This one is timeless. I remember begging my mom to let me rent this one (and Ghoulies! Remember the cover with the monster in the toilet?) but she never let me. Borrowed a copy from a friend in High School and ended up loving it. Also, I could have totally handled it in fourth grade!

Scott
he-shot-cyrus.blogspot.com

Fox said...

Wait... is Mama's Boy going straight to DVD? I thought I heard about that movie a LOOOONG time agi. I gotta see anything with Anna Faris. NEXT WEEK : The House Bunny!

Ryan, it must have been you that I remember liking this b/c I told Kat "hey, isn't this a childhood fave of yours?", but she'd never seen it.

And Scott, I wasn't allowed to watch this stuff as a kid either, but, then again, I woulda been too scared. I was really cautious as a child. I think my mom knew to be careful with what I watch when I ran out crying b/c of the hillbillies in Pete's Dragon. Ghoulies... gotta remember to check that one out.

WaywardJam said...

Yep, I thought Mama's Boy was supposed to hit theaters but it's #2 in my Q, right below Trick or Treat.

"That is friggin' HOT!" I can't wait until next week!!!

Fox said...

I know. I've seen that trailer ...um... at LEAST 30 times and I still laugh. Crap... maybe we shouldn't hype it too much... ok, The House Bunny is gonna suck, man!

Dude, I am so going to Netflix right now. And good luck on Trick or Treat. You should post about it. I've always been curious but never brave enough.

LegionOfPuppets said...

Classic films! I can't get enough of the series

kindertrauma said...

Love Critters and the scene with the E.T doll was my favorite. Great post!

Fox said...

Yay! Freakin Kindertrauma is up in here y'all!

Thanks for swinging by and thanks for the kind words. I think some type of Critters creation would be a fine addition to your collection of Kinder Toys.

Term Papers said...

Congratulation, to you man, Such a nice post, really interesting, really admire your work, to have some more of it,Thanks.

Tessanneztqg said...

Special in the sense the height up to which they lift weights is higher than their normal counterparts. Some attachments can also be used as mounted platforms to help your staff and personnel to move from one place to another. A used parts dealer someplace no doubt will have one or somebody will be selling parts from an old forklift of theirs.