Friday, August 15, 2008

HAT TRICK

Thanks to an excited message from my pal Chris, I'm now aware of the November 2008 releases for Criterion, and boy are they great... I dare say 11/08 may be the best month Criterion has had since they first dotted Grand Illusion's spine with a 1 way back when.

Check it:



I've become very conservative with my DVD purchases of late. In fact, the only one I've bought, this year, was a $7.99 copy of Nashville from Borders. I'm glad I practiced restraint, because in November my DVD consumption is going to rise 300% with these undeniable classics.

[NOTE: There is a fourth film being released in November that I've never heard of. So it could be an even sweeter month for you if you bop on over to Criterion's site and like what you see.]

9 comments:

J.D. said...

Chungking's cover makes me unbelievably wet.

Fox said...

You know, that could be interpreted in a variety of ways JD. :0) But either way would be understood.

I know, isn't it great??? I've always kinda been in love with Faye Wong's character in that film. (With Tony Leung's too, but more so Faye.) I can never hear "California Dreaming" without picturing her cute little face singing behind that counter.

J.D. said...

;)

I haven't even seen the movie yet! IT DOES IT ON IT'S OWN!

Slayton said...

Gosh, I CANNOT wait to see these, especially "Chungking Express".

bryan h. said...

I've been trying to lay off the DVD purchases lately, too. But this fall, with those Criterions (you didn't even mention that they're putting The Third Man out on Blu-Ray, too) and The Godfather coming out on Blu_ray, I'm going to have to cut back someplace else.

Anonymous said...

TONY LEUNG!!

Fox said...

Bryan -

I've noticed that the blu-ray DVDs at like Target etc. are never below a 24.99 price level. Is this expected to drop as the phasing out of the old format begins? One of my favorite things about the "old" DVDs was that there were quite a few great films priced at $9.99.

Anon-

Tony Leung is the man. He's so classy and elegant. People call George Clooney "the new Cary Grant", but I'll go with Leung.

Rick Olson said...

Fabulous releases, indeed. I am particularly excited to see another Wong by Criterion, and especially this one. I'll bet it looks great in Blu-Ray.

Fox said...

And the The Last Emperor on Blu-Ray too! Woo-hoo! I mean, Bertolucci/Storaro always looks beautiful, but on Blu-Ray I can't even imagine.

Now I just need to get a player...