Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"YOUR PROTECTOR" - FLEET FOXES

Like their new millennium Sub Pop brethren, newish buzz band Fleet Foxes are sure to have a handful of their songs popping up in movies, movie trailers, the falling action sequence in cops/forensics/detective TV dramas, and/or commercials in the near future. Deservedly so.

"Your Protector" has the greatest odds of being that first song to branch off and inevitably start giving you associations to M & M's or Kyra Sedgwik when you hear it own its own. Here's why:

1. Once the song gets passed its moody intro, its chorus and verses have a full-on Ennio Morricone gallup to them, not to mention the Italian's light orchestral type of arrangement hanging about it. (Someone more familiar with Scott Walker may want to confirm my suspicions that there are some of his grand vista cinematic soundscapes going on here as well.)

2. The chorus is scene-ready for a moment of I'm-walking-outta- here-with-courage-and-my-head-held-high. What instantly comes to mind is Ewen McGregor walking along to "Born Slippy" in Trainspotting and Reese Witherspoon's fu*k-you-I'm-outta-here exit in Cruel Intentions to "Bitter Sweet Symphony".

3. The lyrics are a mini screenplay:

She left a week to roam
Your protector's coming home
Keep your secrets with you
Safe from the outside

You walk along the stream
Your head caught in a waking dream
Your protector's coming home (coming home)

As you lay to die beside me, baby
I'm the one in the shootin' game
Would you wait for me,
the other one,
would you wait for me?

You run with the devil (2x)

Tell your brother to be good
Tell your sister not to go
Tell your mother not to wait
Tell your father I was good

As you lay to die beside me, baby
I'm the one in the shootin' game
Would you wait for me,
the other one,
would you wait for me?

I like to picture Raquel Welch and Jim Brown in 100 Rifles, but you can take your pick from any spaghetti western B-movie (is that redundant???).


No comments: