Sunday, February 03, 2008

"VIDEOTAPE" - RADIOHEAD

"Videotape" sounds like Thom Yorke balladeering at a piano bar in purgatory. "This is one for the good ol' days", he sings, laying into a slow chord shuffle while video of his past sins play above his head. Will he make it to heaven or hell? Don't know. But it's fun (Radiohead fun!?!) to hear him plead his case. It's like "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" for the melancholic set.

It seems many people favor "All I Need" as In Rainbows' best track - and it is a great one -, but "Videotape" touches me the most (followed closely by the surprisingly sexual "House Of Cards" where Yorke reveals his infidelity fantasy).

It's cinematic, but in a different way. Usually Radiohead draw that compliment for their atmospheric sound, but "Videotape" makes me think of a filmic moment because of Yorke's lyrics... especially the final verse (accompanied by that image of the purgatory bar, of course):

"This is my way of saying goodbye/Because I can't do it face to face/So I'm talking to you before it's too late/No matter what happens now/I shouldn't be afraid/Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen"


Yet, in the end, I don't think God or The Devil gets his soul. I think he'll forever be the resident piano man at the bar bewteen heaven and hell... kinda like Warren Oats at the beginning of Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, or, better yet, Hoagy Carmichael in To Have and Have Not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just couldn't leave your website before suggesting that I really
loved the usual info a person supply for your visitors?
Is going to be back ceaselessly in order to check up
on new posts

My webpage シャネル ラウンド バッグ

Anonymous said...

Eaгly On In so 10 the actual Results flashlight pasѕ on, a sectiօn of the seveгal and after that launched that unmatched
good-sized cߋmmercial "games selling" to determine my business since you are a main message of promoting principle, over thе 10 Adѵenture Titles torch appliеd science development then formаtion to start innovation, by 10 Game Applіcations wіthin a sport bearer, heavy pantry and so invigorating
effects of all corporation brаndnames. TҺe other problem աith doing ab exercises on the Bean is thɑt it allows you to rock back and forth, creating momentum.
Seems like the same paralysis is ɑlso happеning at the local and
state level.

Check out my webpage ... Restore My Vision today pdf