Thursday, February 21, 2008

"SEE YOU AGAIN" - MILEY CYRUS

With "See You Again", Miley Cyrus is making her push for music industry respectability a la post-American Idol Kelly Clarkson.

The crossover single has gotta be the most loved song that people over the age of 13 (and really, males of ALL AGES) won't admit to liking. It took some time for hipsters to come out of the closet about Kelly Clarkson, but Miley Cyrus is a whole other beast...
* She has a tween Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines split personality thing going on

* She wears wigs

* She has a successful show on Disney

* She rivals only Dora The Explorer for the amount product tie-ins.
But who cares! ... cuz right under Alicia Keys' "Like You'll Never See Me Again", "See You Again" is the best song on the radio right now. (Is it coincidence that these two song titles have a call-and-response relationship???? I THINK NOT!)

The verse has a Nancy Sinatra channeling "Sunglasses At Night" swaying confidence to it, and the chorus outdoes The Killers' "Somebody Told Me" with it's pogo synth backed "a-whoa-whoa"s. It's just a matter of time before Spoon, or one of those jokers, ironically (with feigning earnestness) covers this.

Give in.

3 comments:

debbie said...

I watch Hannah Montana every Saturday morning, and I laugh out loud.

Fox said...

When we were in LA for your wedding I watched two episodes for the first time, and then I caught some at the beach this summer.

I totally can see the appeal it has on kids. It's the way I liked Saved By The Bell when I was a kid.

But what's up with her brother??? He kinda weirds me out.

debbie said...

Did you know her best friend, Lily, is played by Haley Joel Osment's sister?

Yeah, the appeal. What kid doesn't want to be a secret superstar?