Thursday, January 10, 2008

ON THE EVE OF THE RELEASE OF "IN THE NAME OF THE KING : A DUNGEON SIEGE TALE"

I've mentioned my bizarre obsession with Uwe Boll before. I think it goes back to my affection for blind ambitious losers. It's why I enjoy watching Larry Cohen's films regardless of the fact that I seldom like a one.

[NOTE: While Cohen's directed films are consistently poor, his scripts have been fleshed out in the hands of others... namely: Phone Booth and Cellular.]

So, on the day before the wide release (dump???) of INTOTK : ADST, the NY Post asked Boll a few questions:

---
Uwe Boll is to directing what cirrhosis is to the liver. Or so his critics would have you believe. His movies - popcorn-action flicks based on video games like BloodRayne - have been eviscerated by reviewers and earned him the title of "world's worst director." Not that he's turned the other cheek to criticism. The German director's been known to e-mail journalists colorful missives, and in 2006 he challenged five naysayers to a boxing match - and whipped them all.

His latest film, In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, starring Jason Statham, opens Friday. Not surprisingly, the movie is based on a video game. The hero is a simple farmer who helps save the kingdom from an evil magician and his monster army. (read the full interview HERE)

---

But is Boll really "the world's worst director"? Nah, far from it. The man at least has a boisterous and intriguingly jejune quality to his films,... which is more than I'm willing to grant Alfonso Cuaron.

2 comments:

debbie said...

But, I loved
Y tu mama tambien,

and I think his Harry Potter was the best of the bunch.

Fox said...

Kat and I have a running joke - well, ok, it's probably just funny to ME! - where I constantly say "Well, at least it's not as bad as (insert Cuaron film here)".
She rolls her eyes and sometimes tells me to shut up.

I know people really dig the guy, but I just can't stand his films and his take on life.