Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"DIED A JEW" - SAY ANYTHING

... or what could also be called - in keeping with the title of the bands new album In Defense of the Genre - "In Defense of the Jew". In 2 minutes, 23 seconds, Max Bemis rants one of the most unapologetic religious heritage rock songs since... well, since whenever.

Emo is loved/hated for it's heart on sleeve lyricism, but Bemis pushes that approach beyond locker love and lip gloss into more worldly, everyman topics. After a low-shoulder bass line lifted straight from Kim Colletta (circa "Cooling Card"), Bemis dives right in:
"You say you hate the shade of my face for my father's share crops/My people were slaves before yours invented hip-hop"
Ohh...SNAP! It's an emo dis track!
CHORUS: " I think I'm fine the way I am, (and yes I chase my milk with ham)... I think I'm fine the way I am (although we broke our promised land)"
Dis # 2!:
"You say you hate the breadth of my nose for my daddy's earlocks/Shunned before you pierced it, and sold it, and called it "punk rock""
Funny and playful, yes, but it's so, so refreshing to hear a young rock songwriter kick around such feisty identity politics without flinching or looking over his shoulder for the sensitivity squad. This is the arena where hip-hop has conquered and flourished in. Is it pop-punks turn???...... nah, doubtful... but that's what makes this one off song an instant gem.